Books | Book Chapters
| Journal Articles | Centre Working Papers | Conference Papers | Media Publications
| Book Reviews | Other Publications
- 'Why Does China Fear Critical Discourse?' in W. Kalaga and A. Klis (eds) Civilisation and Fear, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 47-60.
- 'The Security Scenario in South Asia', in Europa Regional Surveys of the World: South Asia 2012. 9th edition. London and New York: Routledge
- 'Democracy and Money Politics: The Case of Indonesia', in Richard Robison (ed.) Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Politics, Routledge, pp.71-82.
‘Regulatory Regionalism in Asia’, in Mark Beeson and Richard Stubbs (eds) Routledge Handbook of Asian Regionalism, Routledge, pp. 177-85. (with Kanishka Jayasuriya)
- ‘Tackling the legacies of violence and conflict: Liberal institutions and contentious politics in Cambodia and Timor-Leste’, in R Robison (ed.), Routledge Handbook of South East Asian Politics, Routledge.
- 'Labour Politics in Southeast Asia: The Philippines in comparative perspective', in R Robison (ed.), Routledge Handbook of South East Asian Politics, Routledge.
- ‘Hybrid regimes: A social foundation approach’, in J Haynes (ed.), Routledge Handbook on Democratization, London, Routledge (with K Jayasuriya).
- ‘Consultative authoritarianism and regime change analysis: Implications of the Singapore case’, in R Robison (ed.), Routledge Handbook on Southeast Asian Politics, London, Routledge.
- ‘Southeast Asia: The left and the rise of bourgeois opposition’, in R Robison (ed.), Routledge Handbook on Southeast Asian Politics, London, Routledge (with K Hewison).
‘Kiko hendo, shokuryo seisan, noson shakai:1582 nen kara 2009 nen no Firipini’ (Climate Change , Food Production and Agrarian Society: the Philippines, 1582-2009), translated by Yasuyuki Kono, in Yanigaswa Masayuki, Kono Yasuyuki, Kozan Osamu and Kanzaki Mamoru (eds) Chikyuken Seimeiken no sensairyoku: Nettai chiiki shakai no sezon kiban ( The Potentiality of Geosphere and Biopshere: Exploring the Tropical Humanosphere), Kyoto University Press, pp. 39-67.
‘Weather , History and Empire: The Typhoon Factor and the Manila Galleon Trade, 1565-1815′, in Geoff Wade and Li Tana (eds), Anthony Reid and the Study of the Southeast Asian Past, Institute for Southeast Asian Studies, pp 183-220.
‘Saltwater Slavers and Captives in the Sulu Zone, 1768-1898’, in Philip D.Morgan (ed.) Maritime Slavery, ( London: Routledge, 2012),pp. 119-139.
- ' Testing the boundaries of the state: gangs, vigilantes and violent entrepreneurs in Southeast Asia’, in Richard Robison (ed.) Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Politics, Routledge, pp. 288-302.
- ‘The “Biggest Cock”: masculinity, violence and authority amongst Jakarta’s gangs’, in Lenore Lyons and Michelle Ford (eds.) Masculinities in Southeast Asia, Routledge, 121-138.
‘The Baosteel Group – a national champion amongst national champions’. In Xu, Yi-Chong (ed.), The Political Economy of State-Owned Enterprise Reform in China and India, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Guest Edited Journal Collections
Policy Advocacy in an Asian Context: Issues and Perspectives', Administration and Society, Vol.44 No.65 (September)
- Cultural Obstacles to Political Dialogue in China', Culture and Dialogue, Vol.2, No2. Sept
(with Horst Ruthrof)
’Political Economy and Islamic Politics: Insights from the Indonesian Case’, New Political Economy, 17, 2: 137-155. (with Richard Robison)
- ’Political Islam in Southeast Asia: A (Re)Emergent Issue’, East Asian Studies, forthcoming
'Mitigating the Risk to Primitive Accumulation: State-building and the Logging Boom in Solomon Islands', Journal of Contemporary Asia, 42, 3: 405-426.
‘The Domestic Politics of International Hierarchy: Risk Management and the Reconstitution of International Society’, International Politics, 49, 1: 59-77. (with William Clapton)
'Development Effectiveness and the Politics of Commitment', Third World Quarterly 33, 1: (with Jane Hutchison)
‘Ideological Coalitions and the International Promotion of Social Accountability: The Philippines and Cambodia Compared,’ International Studies Quarterly, 56(2): 367–380. (with Garry Rodan)
'Development Effectiveness and the Politics of Commitment', Third World Quarterly 33, 1: (with Caroline Hughes)
‘Competing Ideologies of Political Representation in Southeast Asia,’ Third World Quarterly, 33(2), 2012, pp. 335-56.
‘Ideological Coalitions and the International Promotion of Social Accountability: The Philippines and Cambodia Compared,’ International Studies Quarterly, 56(2): 367–380. (with Caroline Hughes)
- 'Water scarcity in the Spermonde Archipelago, Sulawesi, Indonesia: Past, present and future', Environmental Science & Policy, 23: 74-84
'Integrity Management in post-1997 Hong Kong: challenges for a rule-based system,' Crime , Law and Social Change, 58: 39-52. (with Joan Leung)
'Analysing Advocacy Issues in Asia', Administration and Society, Vol.44 No. 65 (September): 4-12.
'Institutional Design and Corruption Prevention in Hong Kong', Journal of Contemporary China.
'Risk and the Sacred: Environment, Media and Public Opinion in Bali', in Special Issue on Environmentalism, Culture, Ethnography, Oceania 82 (3): 294-307.
'Democratic Decentralisation and Pro-Poor Policy Reform: The Politics of Health Insurance for the Poor in Two Indonesian Districts', Journal of Asian Social Sciences. (with Andrew Rosser)
'Resource security: A new motivation for free trade agreements in the Asia-Pacific region'. The Pacific Review, 25(4): 429-453.
- 'Chinese resource security policies and the restructuring of the Asia-Pacific iron ore market'. Resources Policy, 37(3): 331-339.
“China’s New Thinking on Alliances,” Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, Vol. 54, No. 5 (October 2012), pp. 129-148.
- “Rethinking China’s Grand Strategy: Beijing’s Evolving National Interests and Strategic Ideas in the Reform Era,” International Politics, Vol. 49, No. 3 (May 2012), pp. 318-345.
- “The Tsinghua Approach and the Inception of Chinese Theories of International Relations,” Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Spring 2012), pp. 73-102.